The countdown to Coptic Christmas has started.
- 1 kilo of beef bones, coarsely chopped
- 3 liters of water
- Stalks of parsley
- Stalks of celery
- One whole onion
- One carrot, coarsely chopped
- One leek, coarsely chopped
- One tomato, halved and seeded
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 5 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon of kosher or Himalayan salt
- Add all the ingredients except the salt to a slow cooker or a heavy bottom pan and set it on low heat. Let the soup simmer for at least 5 hours or until all the veggies look mushy and collapsed and are easy to smash with a back of a spoon.
- With a spoon, remove the impurities that float to the surface during the first two hours of cooking.
- When the broth is all ready, let it cook completely to room temperature.
- Strain the broth using a fine mesh sieve fitted over a deep jar or bowl.
- Store the broth in tightly covered glass containers in the fridge for no longer than 3 days OR freeze in labeled and dated ziplocks in the freezer.