Thanks to many years spent in coastal cities, I finally dare improvise my own fish recipes.
The recipe below is stateless, it is more of a concoction of many exquisite flavors and evocative aromas, reunited in one dish.
It is zesty, peppery, spicy and brings a breath of fresh air to my landlocked kitchen.
Buying a butterflied trout could save some time, yet butterflying is not a complicated task. It simply requires a sharp flexible knife, reliable kitchen shears, and probably reading this useful step-by-step article in Saveur magazine.
In addition to the visual appeal, butterflying the fish reduces the roasting time, and renders this meal ready in 30 minutes, start to finish.
Roasting the fish in a pan on a bed of fresh veggies (onions, garlic, bell pepper, and fresh herbs) enhances the flavors, and makes it a one sheet pan wonder. It is a perfectly easy and elegant dinner for two.
Butterflied Trout Over A Bed of Veggies
Serves: 4 people
- 1 trout, about 12 ounces
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic glove
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of harissa
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup dill and parsley leaves
For the garnish
- 2 red and green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Rinse the trout under runny water, and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Add all the marinade ingredients in the food processor. Pulse until a paste is formed. Pour it over the fish, and let it rest in a glass dish in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Arrange the slices of veggies on a sheet pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies to coat them well. Sprinkle enough salt and pepper to your taste.
- When the trout is already marinated, lay it down over the veggies arranged on the sheet pan. Arrange the lemon slices on the surface of the trout.
- In a 375º F preheated oven, bake the trout for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Decorate the dish with some fresh dill and parsley sprigs. Serve the trout hot along with rice.
One thought on “Roasted Butterflied Trout Over A Bed of Veggies”