All images and content are owned by Chez Nermine® and are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and/or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish a recipe, please rewrite it in your own words and link back to the recipe page on my site. Original recipes and creations of this site are intended for personal and home use. Commercial replication or media consumption are only allowed with a written consent and agreement with Chez Nermine owner. Otherwise it is considered a violation of intellectual property. Thank you for respecting and appreciating the amount of time and effort that goes into creating free, unique recipes that shake up people's diet.
I couldn’t resist my cravings anymore!
I was dreaming of a vegan treat when I saw the IG feed of the talented home-cook and Instagramer Nouna @nouna2004. Her upside-down vegan orange cake was so inviting!
I loved how Nouna turned a humble vegan cake into a showstopper, and I was intrigued to come up with a personal rendition.
Making this cake took no more of twenty minutes of active cooking time. In many ways, it was the simplest cake I have ever made.
Dairy- free and eggless, this cake will appeal to a large crowd. All you need is a good quality of oranges, preferably organic, as you will use the zest and some orange slices to cover the bottom of the bundt.
To add a splash of drama, a drop or two of an orange food color will go a long way.
To receive more healthy recipes, inspired by my Egyptian Cuisine, join my foodie tribe here.
For updates, sneak peak previews, and tutorial food videos, follow my Instagram page @cheznermine
Vegan Orange Cake
Serves 6 people
Vegan Orange Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I prefer canola oil)
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 drops of orange food color, optional
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Rind of one orange
The Vegan Orange cake
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix the wet ingredient: Add the sugar, orange zest, and oil to the bowl of a stand mixer or use a hand mixer, to beat the mixture until the sugar is all dissolved and the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the orange juice and continue beating until the juice is well incorporated.
- Mix the dry ingredients: Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda over a big deep bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients: Toss in the dry ingredients into to the wet ingredients and mix with a hand spatula,until a homogenous batter is formed.
- Spray or wipe a bundt cake mold with canola oil, sprinkle evenly the brown sugar in the bottom of the mold, and arrange the orange slices in a overlapping fashion to cover the gapes. Pour the cake batter into the mold and over the arrange slices.
- Bake the cake: Pop the cake in the oven for 25- 30 minutes or until a skewer instead in the cake comes out clean.
- Unmold the cake and pour the hot simple syrup on top. (recipe follows)
- Store the cake: keep it in the fridge until you serve it with orange syrup.
- Dissolve the sugar, water, and juice in a deep pan, add the rind, and let it boil for 8 minutes until it slightly thickens.
- Pour over the cake while the cake is still hot.